Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thanks, But I'd Rather NOT Catch Jordan

Published: December 1st, 2011
Catching Jordan
By: Miranda Kenneally
Sourcebooks Fire
ISBN-13: 9781402262272


What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.



Review

   Jordan Woods is the star quarterback of her high school football team and in the South that's an accomlishment.  The girl's got major skills and is banking on a scholarship to her dream school in Alabama, even though her famous NFL star Dad doesn't approve AT ALL.  So of course she feels like it's all slipping away when Ty (who was a quarterback in his hometown) moves to town and joins the team.  Jordan's caught between wanting to get his attention off the field romantically and wanting to show him up out on the football field.  She has major support from her best friends J.J., Carter and Henry who have always treated her like one of the guys.  But things start to get weird with Henry (who's first name is Sam) and Jordan doesn't get why.  Plus it looks more and more like Alabama is only interested in Jordan because of her Dad and has no intention to actually use her on the field if she goes there.  When she finally gets a relationship with Ty will it be enough or is something missing?  What's the deal with Henry and will they be able to fix their problems?  Can Jordan finally get her Dad to accept that she loves football and is going to play with or without his approval?  I was into the main plot of the book.  I thought all of the side characters, while not exactly 3-dimensional, were still engaging and well written.  I loved J.J. and Carter, plus the cheerleaders that teach Jordan girls can be good people too.  Henry was too good to be believed, but her wasn't perfect.  His imperfections are what made me truly adore him.  I, however, was not so impressed with Jordan.  It felt like she was trying too hard to convince herself that she could be the quarterback and still like being a girl too.  Plus, she was so FREAKING BLIND when it came to Henry's feelings for her!!!  I was annoyed by how long that situation was dragged out.  A major complaint is all of the casual sex going on in this book.  It was off-putting and made me seriously want to scream.  The family relationships were interesting but not quite so realistic as the friendships were.  Jordan's brother was awesome, but her parents were background figures masquerading as side characters.  Her "romance" with Ty was so unbearably shallow I wouldn't even use that word to describe the relationship.  My favorite part was the class project with the mechanical baby - so funny.  On the upside, this book did a good job of making me understand football better without boring me to tears!  This book was okay, but not highly recommended by me. 

VERDICT:  2.5/5  Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! I'm definitely not going to push this one to the front of my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was excited for this book because it sounded cute. It just didn't do it for me though. :(

      Delete

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!