Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Every Boy's Got One of What?

Published: December 21st, 2004
Every Boy's Got One
By: Meg Cabot
Pan
ISBN-13: 9780330418881


 
 
To: Jane Harris Fr: Claire Harris Re: You
Hi, honey It's me, Mom. I know it's a big secret that your friend Holly and her boyfriend Mark are eloping in Italy, and that you and Mark's friend Cal Langdon (the handsome New York Journal reporter with the big book deal) are going, too, as their witnesses. But I just saw Holly's mother at the Kroger Sav-On, and I thought I'd warn you: She doesn't seem to like Mark very much at all. Just wanted to let you know.
PS I don't understand why you don't like that nice Cal Langdon He seemed so smart when I saw him being inte viewed on Charlie Rose. And so handsome
PPS Don't forget to wear a sweater

Cartoonist Jane Harris is delighted by the prospect of her first-ever trip to Europe. But it's hate at first sight for Jane and Cal Langdon, and neither is too happy at the prospect of sharing a villa with one another for a week--not even in the beautiful and picturesque Marches countryside. But when Holly and Mark's wedding plans hit a major snag that only Jane and Cal can repair, the two find themselves having to put aside their mutual dislike for one another in order to get their best friends on the road to wedded bliss--and end up on a road themselves ... one neither of them ever expected.



Review


   Jane Harris loves her best friend Holly and is really excited to be invited as a witness for their elopment, with her fiance Mark, at Holly's Uncle's villa in Italy. The only thing she's NOT excited about is Mark's best friend Cal Langdon also tagging along. First impressions of Cal aren't favorable and she thinks he's a jerk for not wanting Mark to get married - for not believing in marriage at all. The book is comprised mostly of Jane's entries into a travel journal she originally purchased as a surprise present for Holly and Mark, that ends up being an account of her own adventures. There are also drawings in the margins of Jane's famous cartoon, Wondercat. There are e-mails as well, between Jane and Holly, Cal and Mark, Cal and Jane, to and from their parents/siblings to each respective adult involved in the elopement. Will Jane and Cal be able to resolve their differences in time to save the wedding when catastrophe strikes? Is there something other than dislike lurking beneath the surface of their relationship - have they found their own happily ever after? I loved this book with a passion!!! I adore Meg Cabot already and the only books of hers I haven't really read are some of her adult novels. This was funny and well-written. I also enjoyed reading in the acknowledgements that the main inspiration for this was Meg's own elopment with her husband and finding out what really did happen, vs. what she made up for plot purposes. This was a fun book and I enjoyed the e-mails which allowed other characters' perspectives and the diary entries which really got into Jane's mind. It was a cute romance and an overall enjoyable book. Other than moments where I thought Cal came across as overly pompous, I'd highly recommend this novel.

VERDICT: 4.25/5 Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!