Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Listen Closely Wednesday # 10


   Hi everyone! As my followers have by now learned, I am passionate about Young Adult books. But I also love many other forms of expression, including music. I truly believe in the quote that is pictured above and as such have decided to create a weekly meme that is dedicated to sharing music that I believe in, music that has touched me, made me laugh/cry or just plain feel something more. Every week, Listen Closely Wednesdays will talk about five songs that have been important to me that week, why they made the list and I will post all pertinent info about the song itself as well. If you wish to do this on your own blog, please credit me. It is something that I would love to share but I do want to be recognized as this having been my own, original idea. On that note, feel free to comment about the things I share with you or about the music that's on your mind at the time. I'd love to hear all about it! Without further adieu, let's kick off this week's Listen Closely Wednesday!

Five Songs That Pay Tribute to Davy Jones

1.  'The Monkees (Theme Song From The Show)' sung by: The Monkees
- This song is available the album "The Best of the Monkees" (2003) but also in many othe places on Amazon, iTunes and the Android Market.  I won't be repeating this spiel because it's the same for the others.

- Reason Behind It:  So, I don't even know how many of my followers even know who Davy Jones is.  But at least they've heard of The Monkees (hopefully).   Davy Jones was the lead singer of the band, which was a sensation in the 60s, selling more records at one point than the Rolling Stones and the Beatles combined.  Plus, they had a T.V. show.  That makes this song more important than you'd think and Davy was a major reason why.



2.  '(I'm Not) Your Steppin' Stone' sung by: The Monkees

- Reason Behind It: This song reminds me somewhat of the Rolling Stones' style and lyrics.  Except for the fact that I can actually STAND listening to The Monkees!  Plus Davy Jones has a great voice, not to be dismissed as simply the lead singer of a boy band.  This song shows his range.


3.  'I'm a Believer' sung by: The Monkees

- Reason Behind It: Who can call themself an American and not have heard this song at least once in their life?  Plus, anyone who has seen Shrek has at least heard Smashmouth's cover of it.  Let me tell you, the original is way better.


4.  'Last Train to Clarksville' sung by: The Monkees

- Reason Behind It: This song really reminds me of The Beatles song, Ticket to Ride.  However, I like that this song is less existential and more down to Earth.  Ther is actually a destination.  Plus the beat it pretty good for this one, even with the 'no-no-no's.  Listen and you'll see what I mean.



5.  'Daydream Believer' sung by: The Monkees

- Reason Behind It:  This song truly brings home that The Monkees were the teen idols of their time.  It makes you believe that Davy Jone is singing straight to you and gives you a taste of what it was like for all the girls who watched him rise to fame in the 60s.  And it's just a beautiful song in general! :)


   That's all for this weeks edition of Listen Closely Wednesdays. I'm honored if you decided to read this post and I would love to hear your thoughts. Happy listening my friends! :)

IN MEMORY OF DAVY JONES

RIP: DECEMBER 30th, 1945 - FEBRUARY 29th, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!