Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Switched With A Book I Actually Might Have Liked

Published: January 3rd, 2012
Switched
By: Amanda Hocking
St. Martin's Griffin
ISBN-13: 9781250006318


When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.

Review

   Wendy Everly has never been what you would call a well-behaved or especially good kid.  But that doesn't mean she believes that her Mother was at all sane when she tried to kill Wendy, because she was NOT her child.  So when Wendy finds out that she really did get switched out for her 'Mother's' real child (a son), she is devastated that her life has been a lie.  It becomes apparent that life is no longer safe for her, unless she trusts in Finn Holmes and lets him lead her back to her real Mother - a Queen of Trolls.  That's right - Trolls!  It turns out that Wendy was traded in so she could become a rich heiress and bring back money/overall wealth to the clan.  Because the Trolls are hiding in Minnesota, Wendy must either figure out a way to deal with the mercenary way that they live or take herself (and the boy who was supposed to have her life) back to her brother and Aunt.  This book was horrible.  The premise was interesting and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't yet another book about a half-fae child who returns to the courts of Titania and Oberon.  That said, Wendy was a whiny and annoyingly useless piece of junk.  I couldn't stand her at all, had no sypmathy for her and was glad when the book was over.  She was the most wishy-washy 'heroine' I've read in quite a while.  At first she's all righteous about the way the trolls live, but for awhile (until near the end of the book) she has no problem living off of the spoils of their bad habits.  Being a princess means being brainless after all - doesn't it?  Definitely not reading any more books by Amanda Hocking.  I should have known better after disliking My Blood Approves, but I figured I'd give her another shot.  NEVER AGAIN.

VERDICT:  0.5/5  Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

1 comment:

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!