Monday, May 21, 2012

I Haven't Got The Time...


Expected Publication: June 12th, 2012
Timepiece (Hourglass #2)
EgmontUSA
ISBN-13: 9781606841457

A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.

Review

   Emerson Cole has been thrown into a world of intrigue and excitement, with a secret organization called Hourglass at the center of it all - oh yeah, time travel is involved as well.  Her and her friends are just now recovering from their altercations with Cat Powers and Jack Landers, evils former members of a group of time travel researchers who wish to steal Hourglass' powers and manipulate events in time to their advantage.  But than at a party at Em's brother's restaurant, they are threatened with an ultimatum to find Jack or have time be altered in a horrible way.  Also, saving Michael and Liam in the by changing the timeline has damaged the very fabric of time and the ripples of time are beginning to have more substance than they should.  It's up to Em, Michael, Kaleb and Lily to find Jack and put an end to possible problems before they happen.  This means that Lily will have to use a power that she's sworn not to since she was forced to leave Cuba with her Grandma years before.  But even then it may not be enough to save them from disaster.  And where does the InfinityGlass come into play?  Will Em and her fellow Hourglass team members all make it out alive?  I liked the first book decently enough, so I figured that I would give this one a shot.  I was glad that Em and Michael were not the focus in this one.  Their relationship nauseates and annoys me beyond belief.  Kaleb and Lily were my two favorite characters from the first book, so the possibilities excited me.  It ended up being another disappointing case of unrealistic, insta-love.  The book was from Kaleb's POV and while that could've made a difference, there was practically no distinction from Em's narration in the first book.  At first I didn't even realize that Kaleb was the one narrating!  And the time travel stuff was interesting, but too confusing.  If I wanted a physics class I would take one - there's a reason I'm reading fiction!  Lily was more in-depth in this book, which was the best part for me.  But towards the end of the novel even she devolved into a clone of Emerson.  The only thing that I really enjoyed was the action, Kaleb's discoveries of the complexity of his powers and how to help his Mother recover from Jack's devastating attack on her mind.  Not a book I would recommend unless you're okay with mediocrity or are in love with the first one already.  I will probably be sucked into the next one though, because of the cliffhanger.  It made me it's bitch and I totally admit it! 

VERDICT:  3/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is June 12th, 2012.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!