Monday, June 25, 2012

I Was Under Your Spell...


Published: March 13th, 2012
Spell Bound (Hex Hall # 3)
By: Rachel Hawkins
Hyperion Book CH
ISBN-13: 9781423121329

Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted.

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


Review

   Sophie Mercer didn't want to be part-demon at first, but she was finally getting used to that part of herself.  Then the Council took away her powers against her will.  Sophie manages to find her way to her Mother, having lost her Dad, Jenna, Archer and Cal.  It's there that she finds out her Mother is one of the infamous Brannicks, one of the feared warrior women that hunt down the sipernatural.  At least that's what Sophie was told, but it's not quite the truth.  Sophie might be the key to stopping a war of epic proportions but will she be able to do it without her magic?  And will she choose Archer or Cal to be with romantically in the end?  I really enjoyed most of the first book in this series, but the ending left me pretty pissed off.  I decided to give the second book a chance and really thought it struck just the right balance of action, romance and drama.  I had high hopes for this book, the last in the trilogy - especially after the second book's cliffhanger.  But I ended up feeling pretty lukewarm about this one.  I was intrigued by the Brannick storyline, but I never felt like things were explained to my satisfaction.  The love triangle between Cal, Sophie and Archer reached ridiculously melodramatic heights in this novel, which made it seem like a joke.  Seriously, I felt like Sophie turned into Bella from Twilight, stringing both guys along because she 'loves' them both sooooo much.  C'mon, give me a break!  There wasn't enough of Jenna for my satisfaction in this particular story.  Also, the ending made me Hulk angry.  Why the HELL did Hawkins think that was a necessary conclusion to a pointless love triangle???  Overall I was really disappointed in the writing, plot development and resolution of this book.  The characters fell quite flat for me as well.  A dissatisfactory ending to a mostly enjoyable series.

VERDICT:  2.25/5  Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!