Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I Want a Restraining Order


Expected Publication: January 29th, 2013
Nobody But Us
By: Kristin Halbrook
HarperTeen
ISBN-13: 9780062121264

Bonnie and Clyde meets IF I STAY in this addictively heart-wrenching story of two desperate teenagers on the run from their pasts.

They’re young. They’re in love. They’re on the run.

Zoe wants to save Will as much as Will wants to save Zoe. When Will turns eighteen, they decide to run away together. But they never expected their escape to be so fraught with danger....

When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can’t run fast enough.

Nobody But Us, told in alternating perspectives from Will and Zoe, is an unflinching novel, in turns heartbreaking and hopeful, about survival, choices, and love...and how having love doesn’t always mean that you get a happy ending. Described as “beautiful, heartbreaking, and exhilarating” by Kody Keplinger, author of The DUFF, Nobody But Us will prove irresistible to fans of Nina Lacour, Jenny Han, and Sara Zarr.

 
Review

     Will and Zoe run away together, hoping that they can outrun everything bad in their lives - her abusive Father, his lack of family or chances in life and the obvious fact that they're too young to be able to survive without any support.  She is educated and naieve and he is an emotional train-wreck, with so many issues that he is constantly fighting the world.  And when things get dangerous, and the FBI comes chasing after them will Zoe and Will be able to have their happy ending?  Or will their story be just another teenage tragedy?  I went into this wanting to fall in love with it.  But alas, it wasn't meant to be.  AT ALL.  This book is nothing like If I Stay, which leads me to believe that the person who wrote this blurb didn't even read the damn book!  I love a good romance, with tensions and obstacles as much as the next person.  But poor abused Zoe had absolutely no self-respect and chose to run away with a guy whose answer to every problem is to beat someone up and who blames HER when she is sexually harrassed while they're traveling.  That is so unromantic it makes me gag.  Also, several times in the book Will makes her afraid that he's going to hit her.  Zoe just basically goes from an abusive Father, to a very unhealthy and bordering on absuive relationship with Will.  Yeah, I get that Will's had a shitty upbringing and plenty of his own problems but y'all, that's NO EFFING EXCUSE!!!  Nothing makes abuse and violence okay!  The way the book ended was super unsatisfying, because even though they are split apart from each other, Zoe is basically still thinking that Will is her soulmate and the only guy for her.  This book glorified abusive and unhealthy relationships and it was disgusting to me as a reader.  Yes the relationship is intense, but in this case that's a bad thing.  Also, did they really think Zoe could enroll in high school with just a fake I.D.?  And when Will kills someone they STILL think they can get out of the situation okay.  Overall a badly written novel that I hated and would not recommend to my dog as a chew toy.  I might recommend it to my hillbilly neighbors' bonfire though...

VERDICT:  0/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via Edelweiss. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is January 29th, 2013.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!